Wednesday, June 23, 2010

DAY 4, June 21 Brussels, Belgium



After a warm welcome from our Tour Director, we transferred to Dover and bid farewell to the white cliffs and crossed the channel to France by Ferry. After a 90 min. ride, we disembarked in Calais, France. Lucky me...I was selected for a random search by the French Customs officials. I passed but believe my suit case was the first they spotted when they opened the cargo door (the price you pay for traveling light). Vinse was also lucky because he soon joined me at the metal detector. We next continued along the coast into Belgium and stopped in Brugges, one of Europe's best preserved medieval towns. We took a stroll along peaceful canals and through cobbled streets to the Main Square dominated by the octagonal belfry at the Market Hall. We continued to the capital of Brussels, where we visited the Grand Place and saw the cheeky Mannekin Pis (see picture, cuz you might have one of these in your garden). We had an opportunity to taste the Belgium bear (at least I did) at the hotel bar with our tour group before we wondered off on our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment